Friday, February 6, 2015

Greek-ish Salad-in-a-Jar


This salad isn’t truly Greek, but when in America, do as the Americans do and make it your own I say.  Yes, I know many a sacred tradition has been destroyed by the injection of American “culture” but bear with me - the recipe’s pretty tasty!  Here it is…


2 tbsp Greek Dressing
6 to 8 Kalamata Olives
1 medium Tomato
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 Cucumber
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1.3 oz Feta Cheese (I used an 8oz chunk and sliced it in sixths for 6 salads)
3/4 cup Chick Peas
1/2 Red Onion
1 Grilled Portobello Mushroom (I marinated mine lightly in Worcestershire sauce)

Ensure each ingredient is chopped (if necessary) into bit-sized pieces, layer into your mason jar in the order listed and there you have it!  Since I’m a vegetarian, my meaty element was the portobello mushroom but for J’s salads I replaced the mushroom with bacon.  As I made three salads for him in advance and stored them in the fridge, I made sure to drain, squeeze and pretty much wring out the bacon to remove as much of its grease as possible.

In other news, I’ve been a big mason jar fan lately as have many others as a quick Pinterest search would attest.  Their classic classiness combined with their multitude of uses makes them both a form and a function.  I’m thinking of doing a future post featuring mason jars and the ways we use them around our house.  What do you think?

I hope you enjoyed this post!  Happy Friday and happy weekend!

<3 n

No comments:

Post a Comment