Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Card DIY 2014


Happy Holidays and welcome to my first DIY post!!  This project is extremely simple, but very effective at giving your holiday cards a little extra something.  With a little time and only a few supplies (including some things you may already have), you’ll be left with handmade, personalized photo cards that will put a smile on the faces of your family and friends.  Enough talking, let’s take a look...


Here’s what you’ll need:

Sixteen Holiday Cards
Sixteen Photos
Four 12x12 Sheets of Card Stock
One Paper Trimmer
One Tape Runner

First, trim your photo into a square (or nearly a square in my case as I needed to accommodate for the text on my photo) using your paper trimmer.


Next, use your tape runner to add adhesive to the back of your photo.  I applied this to each side and then did one diagonal strip across for good measure.  Secure your photo to the card stock.


Once your photo is in place, trim your card stock to create a matte.  The edge I left is a little larger than 1/8 inch.


Apply tape once more using the same method I mentioned above and position your photo on the front of the card.  I chose to put the photo in the center but moving it to the top or bottom of the card makes for a nice look as well.


I didn’t mention this when I adhered the photo to the card stock, but I always use a cloth or blanket to rub over the photo as opposed to pressing down with my fingers.  This helps avoid any fingerprints or oils from making their way onto your pretty picture.


Here is my finished product!  This year, I’m stuffing our cards with various photos of our kids as I’ve been extremely neglectful of sending out pictures to my family.  As this project is very simplistic, here are some ideas for adding on to this DIY:

Punch two holes toward the top of the card and tie on a ribbon bow.
OR
Add your favorite holiday-themed 3D scrapbooking stickers.
OR
Use any leftover card stock to create a pocket on the inside of the card to stash more photos for your family and friends.

I really hope you enjoyed this and were able to find a little DIY inspiration in it!!  If you try this, please leave a comment down below and let me know!  In case you're wondering, the cards pictured are from Target, the craft supplies are from Michael's and I used the SimplyMpress app for Mac to add the typography to the photos.

<3 n

No comments:

Post a Comment