Monday, December 1, 2014

A Few of My Favorite (Motivational) Things



Denzel’s Dreams and Goals Speech
I was in tears the first time I saw this.  Side note: I’ve been in tears a lot lately because I know I have come to a point in life where I can either push myself to be what I was meant to be or completely fail and live a life of just getting by.  Anyway, back to the speech.  The notion that your desires are essentially God’s memo to you that those good acts about which you are so passionate already belong to you and you simply have to do them is both inspirational and heartbreaking.  I say heartbreaking because so many people ignore their passions and do what they have to do to survive.  They ignore their desires and do what makes money or what makes other people happy.  They don’t reach for their dreams, for the stars and instead live their entire lives on the ground level.  In the speech, Denzel says, “Dreams without goals are just dreams and they ultimately fuel disappointment.”  Is there anything truer than this?

Sprinkle of Glitter’s 5 Year Anniversary Post
As a (wannabe) blogger, this was by far the most inspiring thing I’ve read regarding blogging.   It’s a short post, but reading about Louise’s journey from the birth of her blog to its (and her) current state is beyond motivational for me.  Two weeks ago, my mom asked me how bloggers make money.  The only things I could think of were advertisements and “other opportunities like product reviews and endorsements and stuff like that” because frankly I don’t really know.  The money end of blogging is a huge question mark for me.  I don’t want to blog because it could make me rich or famous.  It’s because I love to write.  It’s because when I was eight years old I wrote a poem that my neighbor posted in her home and when an NBC employee came to visit them one day, he was impressed by it.  It’s because my high school English teacher who treated most of his students like they were blithering idiots once said to me that my writing is so clear and it reminds him so much of his wife who is a professional writer.  It’s because I cry as I write this because there are so many people that believe in me much more than I believe in myself.  It’s because I have a wild idea that I have a gift from God that needs to be shared and could potentially add value to the lives of others.  It’s because I have a dream that will either hoist me to great heights or haunt me for the rest of my days depending on what I choose to do with it.  Louise’s five year blog birthday post is motivational because it lets me know I’m not insane for thinking this could work and that doing one simple thing that you love can lead to a million other things you never knew you could accomplish.

Food Documentaries
I believe every family needs to watch food docs.  Together.  With the kids.  As frightening as it may be to imagine death due to our poor eating habits, as unappetizing as it is to discover the disgusting ins and outs of the meat industry and as discouraging as it is to know that huge corporations are making decisions on your and your family’s health and you’re only one person, everyone needs to know that those things are real and happening.  I literally cry (and I’m not the cry-at-every-movie type) when I watch food docs.  Not because I’m an animal lover or a tree hugger, but because we are truly setting ourselves and our future generations up for disaster.  Homework time!  Below are three of my favorite food documentaries.  If you’re reading this, I want you to watch one - at least one - of these docs.  Listen with an open mind and try to take (even the smallest) steps toward eating better.  Personally, I tend to forget everything I’ve learned from these resources as soon as I’m presented with a mound of cheese atop a California king-sized mattress of gut-building dough (aka the pizza) so I would suggest watching them at least once a month.  Here they are:

TED Talks: Chew On This
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
Food, Inc.

FitLifeTV’s ‘Limiting Beliefs’ Video
Sigh…  If it weren’t for limiting beliefs, I may have no beliefs at all.  That’s funny, but it’s not funny.  I constantly battle thoughts that tell me I’m no one, I’m not good enough and I’m never going to succeed.  As hard as I try to push these thoughts aside, I often find myself succumbing to these self-detrimental ideas.  I don’t do a lot of things because I simply believe I can’t.  One of the main reasons I haven’t fully committed myself to blogging is that I don’t think I’m worthy of being called a blogger.  Luckily, I happened upon this video by Drew Canole and within it I found some inspiration to forge ahead and shove those silly thoughts aside.  In the video, Drew offers three solutions to help overcome limiting beliefs - do not agree with limiting beliefs, find a logical conclusion and test your barriers.  All of these are small but effective steps toward banishing the negative, limiting beliefs that hold us back from being the best we can be.  Remember, a thought is a tiny thing that can lead to the biggest events of our lives - be they delightful or disastrous - so it is of the utmost importance to think only the best of thoughts.

If you’re reading this (anyone, anywhere?!), please comment with one of  your favorite inspirational things!  Happy Monday!!

<3 n

No comments:

Post a Comment