Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Feel-Good Films

Let me start this post by admitting that I am not a movie person. I don't really watch a lot of movies (mostly because I don't sit still long enough) and I am no expert when it comes to determining what makes an amazing film.  That said, please don't judge the following picks for my favorite feel-good flicks.  These are only a few and are only the ones I could think of off the top of my head.  Here they are...

The Holiday
Because who doesn’t want to fantasize about leaving their complicated life behind and finding love in a far off place?  I’m not usually a romantic movie kinda girl, but this one always makes me smile.  Perhaps it's the modern take on the age-old tale of finding love where you least expect it or the thoughtful elements embedded in the film.  Either way, I was sold the first time I saw it.  It's the cinematic equivalent to an easy-read - you pick it up, can't put it down and you've reached the end before you know it.  I especially love the little side story of Arthur and all his industry-bred insights.  Also, I find Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz to be a great combination even though they spend most of the movie's duration 5,000+ miles apart.

Clueless
As soon as I was old enough to watch it, Clueless was one of my favorite films.  And, as soon as I was old enough to understand it, it earned a top spot on my list of most-watched movies.  Having the firm fountain of Jane Austen's Emma, Clueless built a solid, successful house of cards, twigs and glass.  Its cast became iconic and its characters legendary.  They were both lovable and enviable.  I remember wanting every outfit Cher owned along with her high-tech closet, her perfect hair and her white Jeep Wrangler.  Secretly, I still want that car!  What's that?  Grow up and put this cult classic behind me?  As if!

This is 40
While most people wouldn’t classify this as a feel-good film, I think it is.  It may feel a little overly dramatic, but I find it refreshingly, crudely human.  Life is not perfect.  In fact, life is sometimes more downs than ups, more wrongs than rights and more soul-crushing moments than joyous ones.  And often, as is the case in this move, we create or fuel these sorrow-ridden situations.  We find more faults than we do silver linings and we forget to laugh in the face of sheer ridiculousness.  That’s the comical thing about it all.  I usually watch this movie when I’m feeling a little overwhelmed with the day-to-day.  I laugh at the chaos, I cringe at the awkwardness and I love every honest minute of it.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
If I could travel back in time and write one thing, it may very well be this book-turned-movie.  I love everything about this film - its depth, its wit, its tug-of-war between a sense of propriety and pure silliness.  As far as acting goes, Amy Adams has the beautiful ability to be calculating without sacrificing her doe-eyed innocence.  She makes you fall in love with a woman who practices shameless infidelity and self-promotion and places her ambitions before her emotional well-being.  Frances McDormand is as silent and powerful as the wind, creating important, substantial movement in each scene even when she doesn’t utter a word.

Julie & Julia
I love this movie because it's just plain good, but also because I can relate to its content - the passion for writing, the silly marital spats and the  beauty of things coming together just when you start to lose faith.  The movie blends the stories of Julie Powell and Julia Child like two carefully chosen complementary flavors.  Again, Amy Adams does an amazing job at bringing life and believability to her role and then there are Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci who are two of my favorites due to the brilliant flexibility they display as actors.  I watch this when I'm in need of a little inspiration and it never disappoints.

That's all for tonight and that's almost all for 2014!  Can you believe tomorrow is New Year's Eve??  Neither can I.  Happy nearly 2015 and sweet dreams!

<3 n

1 comment:

  1. clueless is without a doubt one of my favourite films of all time! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/12/my-new-years-resolution.html xx

    ReplyDelete