Sunday, October 5, 2014

Grocery Haul



As usual, we devoted a segment of our weekend to grocery and home shopping.  This week, I’ve decided to share our grocery list in a haul-esque post.  Below, in photo form, are some of the goodies we got during our latest grocery run.  As we've been juicing lately and just trying to be healthier in general, a good percentage of what's in our fridge is fruits and veggies.  We also picked up some snacks and some essentials for nutritious, delicious meals.


Avocados and bananas are a staple in our household.  The kids LOVE bananas while J and I eat avocado with almost everything.


To be horribly honest, this bag of sweet potato chips didn't last the evening.  They're just that good.

J picked up these Clif Bars as snacks for work.  Behind them are blueberry muffin oatmeal, trail mix and apples. 

Nuts are another thing we go crazy for.  This blend is one of J's favorites.

 Trader Joe's, being the great place it is, has pre-packaged these yummy salads for the purpose of purchasing and tummy-pleasing.

These small sweet peppers are one of Ella's favorite snacks of all time.  She'd literally eat the entire bag if we'd let her.  Collard greens are one of my favorites which will be boiled until tender with garlic and onion.

We picked up some fresh mint to make infused water this week (I may do a post on that as well!), but it will also come in handy for cooking.

As I am a vegetarian who actually likes the taste and texture of meat, I'm constantly looking for things that come close to the real deal.  To me, portobello mushrooms have a delicious heartiness about them that satisfies my meaty cravings.  These particular mushrooms will become steaks this weekend.

Our babies love berries!  And why wouldn't they?  Berries are sweet and easy to eat.  We serve them alone as snacks and incorporated into meals like oatmeal and cereal.

Sweet potatoes are very versatile.  We use them to make fries, mashes and desserts.  Mixed with a little butter, milk, cinnamon and Splenda, they are simply amazing.

Ok, so this is not edible, but it houses something we can't live without - drinking water.  After battling a leaky water cooler and hauling five gallon bottles up and downstairs for months, we finally purchased a Brita water pitcher.  Lives changed.  We may pick up a second one to stick in the fridge.

I love this veggie pasta from Barilla so much that I have on occasion eaten a few pieces raw prior to dropping it into a boiling bath.  I know that's probably weird and bad, but it good and crunchy.  Quinoa is delicious and healthy and its uses are many.  I prefer the tricolor package but red alone is wonderful too.

These yogurts from Trader Joe's are so good they put ordinary yogurt to shame.  The thin layer of cream followed by velvety chocolatey goodness satisfies even the most demanding sweet tooth.

And since the kids love yogurt as well, here are some easily eatable yogurt squeezies that they are sure to enjoy.

I bought this package of pita bread to change up our sandwich routine.  These super thin pitas are 180 calories for two pitas which is great because we only use half a pita per meal.

Trader Joe's is a cheese haven.  There are so many to choose from and it's hard to go home without a few varieties.  We decided on a longtime favorite, English Coastal Cheddar.  This cheese is so good that it forced J to renounce his love for Kraft (eww right?).

Hey, look, more pita!  These chips seemed healthy and yummy so they came home with us.  The kids and I love them, so I think it was a smart choice.

As many times as I've had arugula, I'd never ever purchased it.  Now that I have, I'll be sure to find as many recipes as possible in which to showcase these peppery little leaves.

So as not to forget all our purchases (as I often do and often regret), I jotted down our fridge contents on our kitchen's dry erase board.  This way, I know exactly what we have on-hand and I get some visual inspiration as to what I should make.

 This BLT and berry combo was tonight's dinner - quick, simple and delicious.  My vegetarian version featured avocado and MorningStar farms veggie bacon strips.  Yummy!


I hope you enjoyed this post!  If you’re reading this, please comment as I’d absolutely love to hear from you!!


<3 n

No comments:

Post a Comment