Thursday, January 2, 2014

Very Thankful Thursday: The Sparkling Brand New Year

Ok, ok - I admit it.  I’m thankful for the New Year.  Although I don’t detect a drastic difference between my current self and the me from forty-eight hours ago and I highly suspect the result of my creating any resolutions will be disappointment, I am thankful for the opportunity to toss out an obsolete calendar in favor of a fresh start.  In lieu of going into detail about that which makes me so grateful for the New Year in this post, I thought I’d be better served by forcing myself to jot down a few goals for 2014.  Here goes…

1. Be positive - I have been extremely cynical and pessimistic lately and I’ve grown tired of it.  I want to be one of those people who acts as a conductor of happiness and can light up a room with good energy.  I may have to consult J on this one, however, since he usually finds those types to be highly annoying.

2. Keep on bloggin’ - My blog is in its infancy, nay its zygotic stage currently.  I’m still figuring out where to place my focus and how to integrate quick quirky posts with posts containing serious writing.  Not to mention, I’ve been incapable of writing seriously as of late.  Overly tired Nicky = writer, blocked.

3. Take a trip - We desperately need to go somewhere!  I don’t know if it will be a family trip or just J and I, but we need a little vacation from the Valley.

4. Paint - I love to paint, but I can rarely find the perfect blend of time and energy to sit down and do it.  The painting I sketched out for Ella is sulking between my desk and the wall and I’ve yet to even conceptualize the type of piece I’d like to create for Sadie (Hendrix’s painting is actually complete as it was a smaller, quicker project than Ella’s).

5. Do more outdoors - With being tired and pregnant for the bulk of 2013, I didn’t have as many outdoor adventures as I did in previous years.  I plan on taking the kids for many more hikes, teaching Ella to ride a bike and re-planting and maintaining my garden.

6. Keep in touch - I wrote these in no particular order, but this should really be number one.  I am a hermit.  For everyone who thinks I’ve neglected them by not writing back or returning phone calls or sending a Christmas card, you’re not alone.  I have been unforgivably neglectful of my loved ones.  I have been trapped on a self-created hamster wheel of getting up, going to work, taking care of the kids, going to sleep and then waking to do it all again.  All of these things are great, productive actions, but the absence of other activities has made me a very dull girl.  Please accept this as my informal apology and expect a formal one along with more communication in the near future.

7. Get in shape - Producing two babies in two years combined with too many horrible diet decisions has left me a little gooey.  It’s time to hit the gym and get my nutrition in check.

As always, I’d love to hear from you all.  I wish everyone the best in the New Year.

<3 n

No comments:

Post a Comment