Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Inner Garden Geek


Our fairly large balcony serves as a home gym at the moment, but come spring it'll hopefully be home to my compact-sized apartment garden. I grew up with two green-thumbed parents and ended up with a pink thumb (read: better at girl stuff than garden stuff). Armed with a couple of great resources, however, I'm determined to water and grow and not kill some plants this year.

While on Pinterest, I found SproutRobot.com. This site allows you to type in your zip code and find out exactly which fruits and vegetables thrive well in your area and when to plant them. They'll even send you weekly email reminders. In addition to this, you can view illustrated planting instructions for both in-ground gardens as well as container gardens and order seeds from their online store. I'll probably be purchasing seeds from a local source, but I'll definitely utilize the how-and-when tips the site provides.

Another potentially useful tool for my gardening adventures will be Apartment Gardening by Amy Pennington. I say potentially because I have not read the entire book nor have I put its advise into action yet. What I've read so far, along with many positive reviews, tells me this book will come in handy though. The author is a former farm-dweller turned city girl who created a surprisingly expansive and productive garden in a limited apartment setting. I'm hoping her tried-and-true methods will help me grow a mini Eden of my very own.

I'd like my garden to be mainly comprised of vegetables. Having a large supply of veggies on hand to cook for my family would be a definite plus. I'd also love to grow pumpkins for the kids this Halloween, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it. Here is my list so far:

Tomatoes
Lettuce
Cucumbers
Rosemary
Basil
Pumpkins (maybe!!)
Habanero peppers
Bell peppers
Flowers
And a few random non-edibles


Wish me luck!!
<3 n

2 comments:

  1. I just found a new Farmers Market Ill be visiting this summer... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please note the CASH ONLY sign... lol!!

    ReplyDelete